When you are in need of legal advice, you usually turn to an expert in that field for their opinion and help. Many good personal injury attorneys offer free consultations to see if they can offer you the assistance you require.
It’s important that you make the most of this time by going in prepared with questions that you want to ask and documentation that explains your situation.
Here are five questions that you should ask your potential attorney before you decide to hire them to represent you in your lawsuit.
5 Questions to Ask Your Legal Representative Before Retaining Them
- How long have you been practicing in your field, and what cases do you usually handle? It is important to know what kind of expertise your lawyer has in general, but it is also necessary to know if they are knowledgeable in what you need.
A personal injury attorney may have decades of experience with car accidents, but just begun to represent clients for slip and falls. The two are similar, but your case may require a deeper level of knowledge than the attorney you are talking to has.
- What kind of training do you have that may help my case? Every attorney is required to have a minimum amount of education and hands-on practice to get their law degree. However, you want an attorney to work with you that has advanced knowledge specific to your situation.
- What are your fees and how is payment obtained? Many personal injury cases are billed on a contingency fee, where if your case does not win, the lawyer does not get paid. Other attorneys bill by the hour.
You should always know what rates your attorney charges and if you will have other fees tacked on, such as document processing, postage, etc. You should also ask if parts of your case can be handled by a paralegal at a reduced rate.
- What is your communication policy? How fast is the turnaround time when you need a response from the attorney or a paralegal? That is important to know, as well as how often you will be contacted regarding a status update to your case, even if there is no change.
- What are the potential outcomes for my case? You should never go into a lawsuit blithely assuming that you will win because you are in the right. There are many variables that make up a successful outcome to any case.
Ask your attorney their honest opinion on how they feel about the likelihood of success with your case. They should be able to review the potential outcomes with you, spearhead any potential defense scenarios in which you would get a negative result, and discuss with you your options. If you need to prepare for a battle, you do not want to walk into the courtroom blindly.
Find the Right Lawyer to Help You Succeed
If the answers your potential attorney provides to you are not acceptable, or you don’t feel comfortable in general with their personality, keep looking. There are many reputable personal injury attorneys in your area, like https://www.hupy.com/offices/green-bay–wisconsin-office.cfm. You may have to settle in court, but you don’t have to settle with an untrustworthy lawyer.