How to claim compensation for car accident injuries


Regardless how careful a person is, accidents do happen. If one is injured on the road, there many things one should do ensure one is adequately covered. However, if you are hurt as a result of a car accident in Western Australia, you maybe entitled to compensation.

In the case of motor vehicle accident injury claims, one needs to prove liability and damage in order to qualify to receive compensation. This is unlike the workers compensation insurance scheme in Western Australia, which is a no fault system. This means injured people do not need to prove who is liable in negligence so long as the injury happens in the course of their employment. As long as the accident occurs as a result of the employment, one is likely to automatically qualify for workers compensation in the no fault system. In order to best protect one’s interests. Injured people should do the following once the accident occurs:

Report to Police

All accidents should be reported to the police, regardless how small the accident may be. Once the police are notified, they may decide to attend to the accident at the scene or they may not. It depends on the severity of the accident. One common mistake people make is not to report the accident to the police, especially if it is a small accident. By not reporting to the police, injured people essentially will not have an official record of the accident. In some cases, immediately post an accident, parties are just involved in exchanging insurance details and forget to report the accident to the police.

Seek medical attention

Seeking medical attention is important as it creates medical evidence that regarding the injury. When talking about medical attention, many may think of an ambulance and the emergency services. This could be true for more severe types of injury. However, not every injury is as severe nor requires ambulance attendance. For a smaller whiplash type of claim, an attendance to your GP may do the job. Now, if your injury happens in Western Australia, it should be noted that not all GPs see patients for motor vehicle injury claim purpose. Please be sure to check with your GP to make sure they can write report of Insurance Commission of Western Australia (ICWA) for your injury claim.

Complete online crash report form

Once you notified the police and attended a medical clinic, you will have a record of the event and a record of your injury. If you intend to make a car accident personal injury claim, then you will need to fill in a claim form to make your intention known. This form can be obtained easily online by searching the keyword “online crash report form”. The form will take approx. 10 – 15 minutes to complete. Once you completed the form, you should click to submit the form to ICWA. ICWA will use the information provided to investigate the accident. During the time when investigation is taking place, your claim will have a status as pended claim. While some investigations are short the investigation could take between 2 – 6 months depending on the complexity and parties involved.

As you can see, the amount of preparation and time taken to get the claim lodged is not light. Once your claim is lodged and accepted, you then be able to commence the formal process for car accident injury compensation. Having a good accident injury lawyer on your side will help the process go smoother and in most of cases result in higher amount of compensation. If you have made a personal injury claim for car accident, don’t forget to consult a good lawyer.