Workers’ compensation is a liability insurance that is mandatory of almost every type of business. It makes sure that the medical expenses, cost of rehabilitation, and paychecks that are lost as a result of an illness or injury while on the job are taken care of by the employer. Here are some guidelines regarding workers’ compensation benefits.
Workers Compensation is only valid if the accident was due to the negligence of the employer. This has to be confirmed and proven before any claims can be approved and the victim receives any benefits. If you were to fall at work because you are clumsy, don’t expect reimbursement for your visit to the doctor. If you fell because there was a torn carpet that was not properly tacked down, you are entitled to medical compensation.
• Coverage for this type of insurance is required by the law. It is determined by how many employees a business has and is usually not required of smaller businesses. If not exempt from this coverage, a company could face serious penalties imposed by the government.
• Government employees are covered by a workers’ compensation program that is specifically created for federal employees. It covers postal workers and anyone who has a government job.
• Some people see workers’ compensation as a way to get paid without having to work for it. You cannot put in a false claim for workers’ compensation or you will face the consequences. It is illegal to file a false claim as well as to continue receiving benefits if you are fully capable of returning to your previous position.
• An employer cannot find a reason to terminate you once you return to your job after you have received workers’ compensation. In the event that you were fired after your return, you need to seek legal counsel to prove that your termination was not the result of your workers’ compensation claim.
• While workers’ compensation insurance is required in all states, each state does have the ability to have different limitations as to coverage and other details of the claim. Some states are much more liberal than others. Before you submit your claim you should find out what the legal limitations for coverage are for your state.
• This liability insurance is a form of protection for the employee. If you are a victim of an accident due to the negligence of your employer you should not have to be responsible for your medical expenses and you should not have to live without a paycheck. You should be able to return to the way of life you had before the accident. If you feel that your claim is not fulfilling this situation, you may want to seek the advice of a workers’ compensation attorney. These lawyers will help you get the compensation you deserve and they work on a contingency basis. This means that they don’t get paid unless they win your case for you. You have nothing to lose when hiring an attorney if you feel you are not being treated fairly.