Applying for a fiancé visa to come to the UK


As the fiance of a British citizen or someone who is settled in the United Kingdom, there is a possibility of you being able to join them living here by applying for fiancé visa UK. This visa is intended for those people who wish to enter the UK to marry and then stay here afterwards.

What is a fiancé visa?

A fiancé visa is a visa type that is aimed at fiancés of British citizens or people who are settled in the UK. It is valid for six months, and you should get married in the UK in this time period. After you and your fiancé get married, you can apply for a UK spouse visa, which allows you to stay in the UK for another two-and-a-half years. If you do not get married within the six months that your visa is valid for, you will have to leave the UK and reapply for another visa.

Requirements of a fiancé visa

There are a range of requirements set out by the Home Office for every visa category. Before applying for a fiancé visa you must ensure meet all of the general, financial and language requirements. The most common grounds for refusal of fiancé visas are that the financial requirements of the visa type are not met.


The general requirements that you must meet if you are applying for a fiancé visa are:

  • You and your fiancé are over 18
  • You and your fiancé have met each other and know each other prior to submitting your application
  • You and your fiancé intend to live together permanently after you get married
  • All previous relationships must have ended


The financial requirements that you have to meet if you are applying for a fiancé visa are:

  • You both have sufficient funds to support yourselves with no help from public money
  • If your fiancé is sponsoring you, they must earn at least £18,600 per year
  • If your fiancé is sponsoring you and has worked in their current role for less than six months, they must have savings of at least £62,500 for a continuous period of six months before submitting the application


The language requirements that need to be met if you are applying for a fiancé visa are either:

  • Passing the International Language Testing System test to level A1
  • Having a degree that was taught in English
  • Being from an English speaking country

Temporary marriage visitor visas

If you want to come to the UK to get married or register a civil partnership but do not wish to live here after you are married, you may be eligible to apply for a marriage visitor visa. It’s important to note that you will not be able to apply to extend this visa type, or for another visa, whilst in the UK. This means that if you change your mind and would like to start a life in the UK, you’ll have to leave and apply from your home country or wherever your permanent residence currently is. 

Like the fiancé visa category, the marriage visitor visa lasts for six months from the date it is issued. If you are unsure of what visa type most suits your needs, it’s best to seek the advice of a specialist immigration solicitor.